開電視要用open還是turn on? 生活中常常有些動作無法用中文直譯成英文,有的動詞片語還有多種意思呢!告訴你這些我們生活中常見、但往往忘記怎麼使用的動詞片語。
1. Look out 往外看 / 小心
Look out of the window
我從窗戶往外看
Look out, there’s a car.
小心!那邊有車
2. Turn on 開啟
拆開來看兩個字,猜不出片語的意思。
Turn 是轉(rotate)的意思,但是加On就變成開啟電器、電源。
I turned on the television.
我開了電視
3. Take off 起飛 / 脫掉
一個片語有不同的意思。所以要看句子、其他單字、上下文的意思來猜。
Take off your jacket.
脫下你的夾克
The plane will take off soon.
飛機很快要起飛
4. put on 穿上
可拆式的動詞片語,像是Put on、Put down
I put on my dress. = I put my dress on.
我穿上洋裝
5. Eat up、Sit down
其實Eat加up、Sit加down,意思沒變,只是讓對話口語點,或是用在和小孩對話。
Eat your dinner.
吃你的晚餐。
Eat up your dinner.
吃完你的晚餐、把你的晚餐吃掉。
Sit at the table.
坐在桌子旁
Sit down at the table
坐桌子旁。
6. Break up 分手 / 學校放假
Tom and Jo have broken up.
Tom跟Jo分手了
The school breaks up next week (for the holidays / Christmas).
學校下禮拜開始放假
7. Carry on 繼續
If you want to speak better English, you should carry on watching
如果你想說出更好的英語,你應該繼續收看
8. Come on 快點、Find out 找出、知道
Come on! If you don’t hurry up, we will miss the train.
快點,你再不快一點我們就要錯過火車了。
I need to find out when the train leaves.
我必須知道火車何時離開
9. Get on / along 相處、Grow up 成長
I get on very well with my flatmates.
我跟同棟公寓的人處得很好。
I grew up in a village near to London.
我是在倫敦附近的一個村子長大的
10. Look after、Pick up、Run out、Throw away
Look after 照顧
Can you look after my dog this week?
你這周能照顧我的狗嗎?
Pick up 接(人、電話)
Can you pick me up from work? = Can you collect(接) me from work?
我下班你可以來接我嗎?
Your phone is ringing, pick up the phone.
你手機在響,接起來吧
Run out 用完
Oh no! All my phone battery has run out.
不!我的手機電量沒了
Throw away 丟掉
This milk is too old, I need to throw it away.
牛奶已經放太久,我得把它丟掉